Last Updated on 14 Feb 2017
We know ESPresso Lite V2 is a powerful and good starter kit for IoT application. It can work as controller where we can program with custom applications. Nonetheless, for beginner, they still prefer to use Arduino Uno as a main controller. Plus, there have customers request on how to make ESPresso Lite V2 to work as a WiFi module and they only need to program Arduino Uno. One of the method is by installing the AT firmware into this board. So this tutorial will guide you step by step with proper photos, connection and simple IoT application.
AT Firmware Installation
1. Connect ESPresso Lite V2 to PC/laptop using UART to USB converter (UC00A or UC00C).
2. Check the COM number at Device Manager. If not showing, please install the driver first.
3. Download the latest ESPWIFI_Shield_Firmware at Cytron GitHub. Here is the link https://github.com/CytronTechnologies/ESPWIFI_Shield_Firmware.
4. Once complete, check the ESPWIFI_Shield_Firmware-master in compressed file, extract it.
5. Enter the folder, go to install_firmware – windows. Open ESP_DOWNLOAD_TOOL_V2.4.exe.
6. Look at the bottom of ESP FLASH DOWNLOAD TOOL window, select the corresponding COM PORT (i.e. COM3) and set the BAUDRATE to 115200. Before click the START button, press and hold GPIO0 at ESPresso Lite V2 board (please refer to the next step).
7. Before proceed to AT firmware installation, press and hold GPIO0. Then click START button.
8. During the installation process, GPIO0 button can be released (see the Download status). It will take a few minutes to complete.
9. Installation complete.
10. Open any terminal software, for example Serial Monitor in Arduino IDE. Set the baudrate to 115200 and Both NL & CR. It will display a few special characters and end with ready.
11. To test the AT command, send AT to the board, if it reply OK, then its working. We recommend to lower the AT command baudrate (i.e. 9600), so it can be used with Arduino Uno SoftwareSerial. To set the baudrate, send AT+UART=9600,8,1,0,0.
12. Now, change the terminal software baudrate to 9600. Same as previous, it will display a few special characters and end with ready. To check the AT firmware version, send AT+GMR.
Simple IoT Application with Arduino Uno
1. After go through all the AT firmware installation steps, now we want to create a simple IoT application using Arduino Uno (as main controller) and ESPresso Lite (as WiFi module). To proceed, please do a connection as follows.
2. Open Arduino IDE. Go to Sketch – Include Library – Manage Libraries… Search and install Cytron ESPWiFi Shield library.
3. Done install, close Library Manager window. Click File – Examples – Cytron ESPWiFi Shield and open SimpleWebServerWiFi. Please edit SSID and password according to your internet connection. Set the baudrate to 9600 (optional).
4. All the status will be displayed at Serial Monitor. If the connection to internet succeed, it will provide an IP address.
5. Open a browser and enter the provided IP address. Click here to turn on or off LED in Arduino Uno board.
Ok done, now you can try with other examples and fully utilize your Arduino Uno board. Thanks for visit and I hope this tutorial helps. Please let me know either it is working or not. 🙂
Note: For further inquiry, kindly visit to Cytron Technical Forum as we seldom check the comment here.